Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Scout Story

Something quite amusing happened to me tonight. I went to an Eagle Court of Honor for someone in our old ward (Meadow's 4th.) Dave Driscoll was giving the award.

A little background on the story. The Driscolls were in our ward way back when I was little and the whole northwest was one ward. Also, I was the Boy Scout Committee Chair and Dave was the Young Men's President when we were in the 4th ward about 5 years ago.

So Brother Driscoll is giving the Eagle and a couple of palms along with it and says something about the number of merit badges needed for each palm. Then he looks over at me and says, "Is that right, Sister Christensen?" I just kind of laughed and nodded.

Two things make this story amusing to me. First is that, when put on the spot, the first name that popped into Brother Driscoll's mind was Christensen, even when the couple of years we had worked together I was Merrill. I'm sure that this is because he knew my dad and my uncle (both Christensens.)

The second thing was that in a room full of people (about 30) which included several other scouts, he turned to me for confirmation of his scouting facts. We haven't worked together for over four years and I see him maybe once a year at rechartering. Did I really make that big of an impression?

I know so many people who are way more into scouting than I am that I guess I'm surprised when people think that I'm way into scouting. I suppose that compared to most people I am. I've taken committe training, Scoutmaster fundamentals, and Wood Badge and I've taught all three. I've been on two Scout committees, been assistant Cubmaster and unofficially assistant Den Leader. Right now I'm on the Cub Scout committee and the District training team.

Hmmm. Well, when you list it out like that, I guess I am way more involved than most people.

4 comments:

Marianne said...

You're really involved with scouting. Sometimes when people use your maiden name, it sounds weird, like it was from another life or something...

Suzanne Affleck said...

I have found that Christensen is synonomous with Scouting here. To quote someone in our stake Young Men's during recharter last year, "If you want something done in scouting call a Christensen."

Everyone knows how much you do in scouts and that you know how things are suppose to be. Of course they would defer to you. I do.

Dad said...

I expect to be known sooner or later as Jen's Dad, as well as my current title of Jack's Dad.

Anonymous said...

To some people, you will always be a Christensen. I have been married for almost 35 years, but still get called Christensen. I guess scouting is in your blood (notice I said your blood, not mine)