Saturday, August 10, 2013

Success!

Last night Cliff and I went to a party for my high school reunion (20 years, ack!) Normally I would totally avoid something so informal and anxiety-causing, but I decided to give it a try. 

I looked through the "going" list and there was only 1 person whose name I recognized, so instead of being worried about no one talking to me, I decided that I would only talk to her and everything else would be a bonus. That way if no one talked to me, I wouldn't freak out or be disappointed. I basically lowered my expectations for other people and just thought of it as a fun night out with Cliff. 

And Cliff was the best part. He was like my shield against any anxiety that I was feeling. It turned out to be a fun night. A few people came and chatted and I even went over to chat with a group. 

Compared to the 10-year reunion (when I had a nervous breakdown) it was a rousing success. I haven't even had any backlash (like morning-after depression) so I must be getting better at this social stuff. It's only been 20 years. 

1 comment:

Marianne said...

Yay! Way to lower your expectations! It's very important, yet hard to do! I was impressed so much that you would try again. Cliff is amazing, and very in tune with what needs to be done. You are a lucky girl!