So I came home from a RS meeting last night to find my little house in an uproar. Elizabeth had used a Qtip after her bath to clean her ear and when she pulled it out, the cotton on the end of the stick was missing. Cliff used the stick (?!?) to try and get the cotton out, but couldn't. I used a flashlight to try and look inside her ear for the cotton, but I couldn't see it. I tried tweezers and a small crochet hook, but came up empty. She was screaming for me to stop and that she wanted a blessing. She said that she hoped God would get the cotton out of her ear. I told her that God isn't magic and can't make cotton disappear, but he made doctors to help us with things like that.
I knew that she would not be able to sleep (being a drama queen, she was milking this for everything she could) so I thought we'd better go to the ER. The one by our house is fairly quick. So at 8:45, we check in at the ER. Elizabeth rates her pain at an 8 which I think is funny.
They show us to a chair in the back and the doctor came by with what looks like a long skinny pistol. When you pull the trigger, the little claw on the end opens and closes. The doctor showed it to her and she told me later that she was hoping he wouldn't use it on her. Then he looked inside her ear to see where the cotton was.
"There's nothing in here."
"There's no cotton?"
"Nope. She has a little scratch on her ear drum and one on the ear canal, but there's not cotton."
Huh. I guess God CAN make cotton disappear!
The best we can figure is that the cotton fell off the stick when she pulled it out of her ear and then she thought it had stayed inside her ear. Then one of the utensils we used to try and removed the cotton actually scratched her ear.
So we got some antibiotic ear drops (so her scratches wouldn't get infected) and some numbing drops (because her pain was at an 8) and the nurse put them in and then put cotton in her ear so the medicine would stay in. I pointed out to Elizabeth that we came in to get cotton out of her ear and left with cotton in her ear. She thought that was the greatest joke. She had to tell Cliff and then Grandma this morning. So if she tells it to you, just laugh and pretend you haven't heard it yet.
We were home by 10, which I thought was pretty good and got Lexa to sleep by 11. Then the *&^$#@! cat woke me up at 3:30 when he barfed on the floor in my room. So if I'm a bit snappy today, you'll forgive me.
3 comments:
You're forgiven, it was a pretty funny story to read, probably not that fun to live.
That's awesome! Elizabeth is such a character, she's really determined when she thinks something. :) Moral of the story is: get rid of the cat. :)
"Say 8, Say 8!" Hahahahahahahaha.
See what happens when Mom isn't there for just a few hours, the whole universe collapses on itself.
Post a Comment