Monday, October 17, 2011

Parallels

Sunday morning, 10 am. Elizabeth is getting ready for church, wearing her Christmas dress. She is looking for her red shoes, but can only find one. I join her in the search and so does Cliff. After going over the whole house without finding it, Cliff gets her to accept the inevitable and wear the black ones. She is still sad, so I suggest praying. She prays to find her shoe. We resume our efforts and look all over, even in the unlikely places. Downstairs is thoroughly searched. I am relieved to find a red shoe in the shoe basket, but it is the one we already have, not the lost one. We search her room; she looks in the bathroom; I look under my bed and in my closet. Now it is almost time to go to church and I must talk to her about why Heavenly Father hasn’t led her to her shoe.

I try to tell her that sometimes we have a hard time listening; sometimes prayers don’t get answered when we want them to. Then she starts to sob and all I can do is hold her. She says, “I don’t know why I’m crying!” But I do.

Cliff and I made a decision a few months ago, but disagreed on the timeline. We fasted to help us know the best timeline. Since General Conference, I’ve been feeling that Cliff is right and we should do it his way. We agreed that this was the right thing, but I’ve been struggling to feel firm about the decision. I’ve been going ahead in faith, but yet still unsure and feeling…wary? Fearful? Whatever it was, I didn’t feel confident like I usually do when following the Spirit’s promptings. I was hoping that something would happen on Sunday, some message or song, which would bring comfort and assurance. The best I got was “God Speed the Right” which has lyrics like these: “If we fail, we fail with glory” and “Pains, nor toils, nor trials heeding, and in heav’n’s good time succeeding”. Yeah, that doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence.

Then, this morning on my way to work I was just driving along, not thinking of anything in particular, and everything felt just right. Don’t know why, but I just suddenly felt that confidence I was missing. Why that moment? Why not yesterday during church? Why not last night during prayers? Why not next week? Why THAT moment and not a million others? I don’t know. Sometimes prayers don’t get answered when we want them to. Maybe sometimes in my hurried, rushed, million-things-on-my-mind world, I have a hard time listening.

Sunday night, 8 pm. I am getting Lexa ready for her bath and I sit next to the tub to start the water. I look down and see a red shoe. Elizabeth and I had both looked in the bathroom, but neither of us had come in far enough to see the shoe between the bathtub and Lexa’s little tub. Elizabeth and I talked about how God doesn’t always answer our prayers when we want Him to. She said that maybe it was more important for us to go to church than to find the shoe. I agreed.

5 comments:

Dad said...

We all learn lessons every day. If we take the time to recognize them. Good job Jen.

Suzanne Affleck said...

...Actually Ferrin Said...Suzanne and I had a hard time agreeing on moving to Maryland to work for PBSJ. Turns out we needed to move to Atlanta (with PBSJ) instead. When we relied on faith our different answers lead us to a better one. Wish you all the best.

Marianne said...

Great job. Not getting the answer we want is so hard. It takes a lot of faith and humility to realize that we don't know the best plan for us. But we can rely on the person who does know. I'm so glad Elizabeth realized it was more important to go to church than to find her shoe. That was a brilliant realization!

Suzanne Affleck said...

...And Suzanne says...Our differing answers that time made a lot of sense after the fact. Ferrin prayed to know if it was the right job (which it was) and I prayed to know if we should move to Maryland (which we were not suppose to do). So we were both right.

Judy Anne said...

I love stories like this one. Your Uncle Dwayne is always the one with the sure answers...i just have to follow in faith! It is hard!