Monday morning: When getting a rubber band for Catherine's hair, I spill the little buggers all over the bathroom counter. Being late for work, as usual, I leave them to be cleaned up later.
Monday after work: Elizabeth and Catherine both fall asleep in the car on the way home. I put Catherine in her bed and Elizabeth on the couch to continue their naps. Usually I wake them up around 7 pm to eat dinner and be awake a little bit before bed time. On this night, however, I'm feeling a little tired myself so I take advantage of the quiet to nap also. Cliff lets us all continue sleeping until the next morning.
Tuesday morning: I wake up to the alarm clock. Cliff has been awake with Elizabeth since 3 am. We all head off to work/Grandma's house.
Tuesday at work: Horrible day at work. Deadlines loom, bosses are hounding, requirements change at the last minute.
Tuesday after work: Cliff picks up the kids and when I get home, we hurry to pile them in the car to take them to Grandma's to play while we pick up some last minute gifts. I run in to grab a rubber band for Catherine's hair and find that someone has picked them all up. And sorted them by color. And put them back into the little tray that we keep them in.
I am dumbfounded. After a long hectic day at work, the fact that someone took the time to clean up that little mess made me cry. It was a little bit of sweetness in a very sour day.
I first thought that Cliff had done it, until I remembered that he was a man and wouldn't sort rubber bands by color. I ask Elizabeth if she did it and she smiled and nodded her head. I double checked with Cliff, and he agreed that it was Elizabeth.
When she had woken up at 3 in the morning, she had used the bathroom and then saw the rubber bands all over the counter. Having nothing else to do, she put them all carefully back in the tray, keeping all the colors together. She even got the ones out of the cup that holds the combs. I thanked her and told her how happy it made me at least 3 times. It absolutely made my day.
3 comments:
Oh that is so sweet! What a doll!
What a great little girl you have! I hope you had a Merry Christmas!
That makes me cry to think of the sweetest of that act of charity. Whe truely has the Christmas Spirit!
Post a Comment