Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Where My Heart Lies

On my way to lunch this afternoon, I saw something struggling on the side of the road that I really wanted to stop and help.

It wasn’t a cat; I have enough of those.
It wasn’t a dog, or any kind of animal.

It wasn’t a struggling artist or homeless person or crazy cat lady.
It wasn’t a crying child or any other person.

It was a book. Just a lonely book, lying there with its pages blowing in the wind. I wanted to stop the traffic, scoop it up and dust it off. Poor little book.

Was it a good book? A novel, history or biography? How did it get there so lonely in the street?

We've got to get this economy back on its feet, people! For the sake of all the homeless books out there!

4 comments:

Marianne said...

I love books too. I think I would stop and pick it up. What if it started raining? (okay okay, I know it's Vegas but still!) Read any good books lately? I'm almost done with the Fablehaven series then I will have nothing left.

Dad said...

Most of us with imagination like to read, and develop mental pictures of our own rather than just watch TV. Marianne can just look at the book listing on the blog to see what you have read.

I'm ready for another Star Wars book.

Suzanne Affleck said...

If it was a Meg Cabot book I would definitely stop. I'm totally addicted.

Anonymous said...

It's Vegas, it was probable Not something you would read. Ha, Ha. Maybe it was a prison break book, one of those church books that people give you that you don't want to read (you might have to improve yourself) so you inprison it on the self in the front room that you want everyone to see so they think you are righteous, (even if you are not). Okay, my thoughts have run away with me!