Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I Called It

A few weeks ago, Cliff's brother Jeff was cleaning our carpets (and Elizabeth's barfed-on mattress) and we mentioned that we would like to replace the carpet downstairs with wood. Jeff said that he knew a guy (he always knows a guy) who would do it for basically the price of materials as a favor. We had to wait for Cliff's profit-sharing check and then we set up an appointment for them (Jeff and the friend) to come by the house for a brief consultation. They were supposed to come by last week, but the friend got stuck on a job and had to reschedule. Jeff told us that he would bring some samples by on Sunday so we could pick colors.

I told Cliff that I doubted we would have samples on Sunday and that Jeff would probably leave the samples at Wilma's (their mother's) house for me to pick up along with my children. Sunday night came without any samples. On Monday, while Cliff and I were eating lunch, Jeff called. He said that he would bring the samples to Wilma's house and I could take them home from there.

I think it's funny in a sad way that I knew how much of a slacker he was going to be. This is the same brother that asks people over for dinner and doesn't start making it until everyone arrives. The same one who shows up 1-2 hours late and wonders why you started without him.

Anyway, the good side of this is that we are getting new tile in the kitchen to replace the old curling linoleum (or whatever it is) and wood floors from the front door through the living room. And we're basically getting the installation free. All I have to do is more all the little stuff out of my downstairs. Sigh. Maybe afterwards I'll leave some of it put away.

3 comments:

Marianne said...

It's going to be messy and dirty when they install it! I'm excited to see how it turns out, will you post some pictures?

Anonymous said...

How fun! A new look to your old digs. About your brother's reputation, I hope mind is not like his...I hope I am dependable. I sure do love you guys.

Suzanne Affleck said...

Ferrin's family is totally predictable like that. You can always count on them to not plan anything in advance, and if they do they will change it at least twice before. Activities never start or end on time. They are always the last to show up and the last to leave.