So the pediatrician told me to try a new formula for Catherine. We've been giving her the Enfamil Gentlese because she was having gas problems. But now she's having too-much-spit-up problems, so we're trying the Enfamil AR (for acid reflux? added rice?) It has rice cereal already mixed in so it stays down better. And it works great! She's had it about 5 times and only one spit up. Here's the problem: The directions say to wait 5 minutes after mixing it before feeding it to the baby.
FIVE MINUTES!
Do they not know that Mom's don't usually plan feedings that far ahead? Baby cries, Mom makes bottle. That's how feedings work at my house. In that five minutes (and ten minutes actually is better) Catherine is screaming with big fat tears rolling down her red face. And you can't give it to them any earlier because it actually takes all of that time for the formula to dissolve. So she cries because I'm not feeding her, or she cries because the bottle is plugged.
Now I've got a choice of which is worse: being spit up on several times a day, or listening to screaming hungry child for 5-10 minutes while the formula is dissolving. I'm leaning toward spit up. I add rice cereal to the formula we're using and she only spits up two or three times. And that dissolves right away.
I don't know what's the deal with that AR stuff, but I think it's made by people who think babies can wait politely for five minutes. "Oh, it's only five minutes," I hear them saying. "Surely a baby can wait five minutes for a bottle." Do they even have kids? My three-year-old can't even wait five minutes for something!
1 comment:
My husband can't wait five minutes for something sometimes. Poor little Catherine. I feel your pain. Sarah is starting to have a problem with milk as well. She's totally addicted but has had several major throw-ups the last few days. I've gone into her room in the middle of the night to find her head totally encrusted with puke. We need to cut back or start getting lactose free.
Post a Comment