Monday Morning
4 AM: I wake up because daughter #2 is stirring. (I can hear her even though she’s down the hall and both our doors are closed.)
4:30: I get up because she’s really starting to cry now and I know she’s hungry.
4:40: Daughter #1 comes downstairs and starts talking. She only stops during eating and sleeping.
4:42: She asks me for a popsicle (1). I actually consider it for moment, but “Good Mommy” takes over and says no, she may only have cereal or a waffle. She votes waffle, but I say she must wait until D2 is finished. D2 promptly finishes.
4:43: D1 decides to take matter into her own hands while I try to convince D2 to drink more (2). D1 gets frozen waffles (3) and needs help reaching the toaster (4).
4:44: I give up on D2 and go help D1 reach to toaster. We put in the waffle and press the lever. I take D2 over to change her diaper and she spits up the milk that I forced her to drink. She got it on my shirt, my pants, the floor, her shirt, and her bib (worthless bib!) (5)
4:45: I put D2 on her play mat and sneak upstairs to get back into bed without D1 seeing me. I’m hoping not to be missed for a while (6).
4:47: I hear D1 coming up the stairs. For a small person, she makes an awful lot of noise clomping up the stairs. She comes into the room and whispers “Mommy” and I hear her walking around in the room. I don’t know if she decided that I was asleep or I wasn’t there, but she leaves and shuts the door very, very quietly behind her. I didn’t know she could be that quiet. She was way quieter than Cliff is when he knows I’m asleep (7).
5:01: D1 starts calling for me downstairs. Cliff wakes up and wonders why the alarm hasn’t gone off (8). He steps out into the hall and yells back down to D1 that mommy is sleeping and what do you need her for? She needs some kind of help and he goes downstairs.
5:07: The alarm goes off; “Stairway to Heaven” is playing (9). Cliff comes back upstairs to take a shower. He courteously asks me if I need to shower first.
5:10: I decide that I may as well get up now because I can hear D2 getting tired of playing by herself. I go downstairs to get her and D1 follows me upstairs (10). She thinks Cliff looks funny with a towel around his waist and reminds him that he made the bathroom stinky yesterday (11). Then she plays with D2 on the bed while I get ready (12).
[Various morning activities including teeth brushing, face washing, hair fixing, dressing…]
5:45: We all go downstairs to get shoes and coats. Cliff is straightening up a bit and I put D2 down on her play mat again while I get stuff together. She’s obviously tired of it and cries, so Cliff picks her up. Then I see the waffle still in the toaster. I warm it back up a bit and give it to D1. She eats 3 bites and says she’s done. I eat the rest (13) and then play with D2 while Cliff eats cereal.
5:48: Cliff takes out the garbage and D1 starts playing with the front door. He tries for two minutes to get her to stop (14). I tell her to come over and draw a picture for Grandma. She immediately comes over, leaving the door alone (15).
5:53: D1 asks me if she can have a popsicle. We leave for Grandma’s instead (16).
(1) She ALWAYS asks for popsicles.
(2) I really wanted her to drink more because I was still tired and I wanted to be lazy for a few more minutes.
(3) Yeah, we eat frozen, so what?
(4) She really didn’t need my help, she just wanted me to pay attention to her.
(5) Since my shirt was a lost cause, I took it off and used it to clean the floor and my pants. I was changing clothes soon anyway. What? Too much information?
(6) I knew I wouldn’t get back to sleep, but I woke up in a bad mood and I was hoping that getting back into bed I could somehow reset the morning.
(7) It made me think of the story of Mr. Noisy. Anyone remember Mr. Noisy? Yeah, that’s Elizabeth.
(8) I know he was wondering it because he said it out loud despite the fact that he thinks I’m still sleeping.
(9) I think we’re on the bottom step of the stairway.
(10) For a second, I worry that she’ll see Cliff naked. We’re trying to keep the boy/girl separation with her. When she opened the bathroom door, Cliff had just put the towel around himself.
(11) We went in to take a shower after Cliff used the bathroom. He wasn’t feeling very good that day. That’s all I’m going to say.
(12) Once when I looked over at them, they were both on their backs with their feet up by their heads. Elizabeth was copying Catherine. I wished the camera was nearby.
(13) Most of my breakfasts consist of what Elizabeth doesn’t eat.
(14) First he asked her not to lock the door. So she just played with the lock. Then he told her to stop playing with the lock. So she started opening and closing the door. Then he told her not to open the door. So she kept the door closed and just kept turning the knob. Then he told her to stop turning the knob. Then she just stood there with her hand on the knob. Then he told her to get away from the door. She told him no, she would not. Then he told her again. (And Cliff got angry with me when I critiqued his parenting style.) Elizabeth loves to step over the line, then just put her toes over the line, then just the tip of her shoe, then toe the line but put her hand over it, then her other hand, then her elbow… It’s her way of getting attention. Mission Accomplished that time!
(15) Learn from the master, honey!
(16) On time for once! Grandma wasn’t expecting us to be on time. We had to wake her up. I got to work 5 minutes late as usual.
4 comments:
I like your comment "we're on the bottom step". Oh boy, I feel like the stairway is across the room, in another house even! Cliff's parenting style is the opposite of my husband's: "you will obey whatever I say immediately, in fact, you should be reading my mind by now so I don't even have to say it." :)
I would vote for funny. I know the whole recount brought a needed smile to my face. Thanks
Sounds like an eventful morning. Mine usually consist of helping Sophie to the bathroom 3 or 4 times (I think she just does it for the M&Ms now) while Sarah steals her breakfast and Cookie is eating whatever has landed on the floor. By the time I clean up breakfast, consol whomever is crying and get 3 people dressed it's time to leave. Where did the morning go?
I vote funny also. Isn't it great that your own hectic/normal mornings make good stories for other people?
Post a Comment