We began this Saturday morning session of conference with everyone because we're all excited about conference at the begining. We lost 2 girls to electronics fairly early and then one more to crafts in the other room. The last two stayed for almost the whole thing. Here's how Saturday morning conference went at our house.
8:57 Catherine and Genevieve are doing puzzles on the
floor. Lexa is with me and Cliff on the
couch looking at our phones. Ellowyn is
sharpening her new birthday pencils and Elizabeth is gathering coloring
equipment.
9:05 Conference has barely started and already there have
been arguments about which temple has been around the longest, who played the 4th
Power Puff girl, what the announcer should be called (Cliff says he is the
narrator), who used the new TabCATS name first, and the color of the women’s
dresses.
9:11 Catherine starts singing along with the opening
song. I guess it’s a Primary song, but
not one that I know.
9:13 Catherine and Elizabeth have a “no, YOU shut up” fight.
9:15 I say, “President Nelson has such big ears!” and Cliff
replies “All the better to hear the voice of the Lord.”
9:16 Cliff hears the word Bangkok and whispers to me: “I am
childish and it’s YOUR fault!” He means my habit of giggling at suggestive
words like “duty.” Elizabeth wants to know what he means and he says, “You weren’t
supposed to hear that.” She replies,
“You’re a terrible whisperer.”
9:17 President Nelson mentions home centered church and I
like where this is going.
9:19 President Nelson starts to talk about a change and
Cliff says, “Here it is.” I simultaneously
get a text from my sister that says “HERE IT COMES!!!”
9:20 We hear a fire alarm. It’s just the neighbor’s. We have
all the windows open.
9:22 Yay! 2-hour church is announced.
9:25 I make a self-promise to use the extra hour to work on
my family history (which will include getting our own family pictures sorted!)
9:28 I tear up for the first time when I feel the Spirit
testify to me of the importance of this new home-centered gospel learning.
9:32 I’m a bit surprised to hear President Nelson recommend
using social media to remind the ward members of the upcoming lesson. We already do that for our Relief Society and
it’s nice to have a convenient link to the talk being discussed.
9:32 Another interesting change that will take some getting
used to: No opening prayer for the second hour class.
9:37 First round of candy eating by everyone (leftovers from
Ellowyn’s piñata.)
9:37 Cliff asks Lexa to clean up the abandoned
puzzles. (The puzzles stay on the floor until I make them clean them up Sunday night.)
9:38 Third request by Ellowyn and Lexa to abandon conference
and play on the computers. They are given permission to play on the iPad and
immediately leave.
9:40 I love Elder Cook’s reference to “glimpses of eternity”
since that’s one thing I try to use to help with my anxiety.
9:43 I notice that Cliff and I are the only ones in the
room. Then Elizabeth comes back in.
9:45 Second time I cry. It’s the story of Elder Brough’s
daughter.
9:47 Elder Brough’s talk is my favorite so far.
9:47 Cliff says “It smells like rain” and yep, it’s
sprinkling.
9:50 Genevieve comes back in for more candy.
9:53 We laugh so hard at Elder Bangerter’s story of his son
asking, “Are you having some problem that’s keeping you from serving a
mission?”
9:54 Genevieve has chocolatey hands now. I ask “Are there
any sisters that can help you?” Catherine is crafting in the other room and
won’t help so I get up and turn on the water for her.
9:56 Genevieve yells from the bathroom, “Mommy I need soap!”
Cliff goes to help.
9:58 I notice that Cliff is quick to shush everyone but
himself.
10:00 Someone in the front room of the Gas popped right out
of his seat for the singing. Cliff says, “Someone must love badgers as much as
I do.” Elizabeth doesn’t get the reference so we sing the verse for her:
High on the mountaintop a badger
chased a squirrel.
The badger caught the squirrel and
now there’s no more squirrel.
In Deseret there are no
squirrels. In Deseret there are no
squirrels.
The song actually seems to be more about squirrels than
badgers I guess.
10:02 Apparently soda and chocolate are our conference
snacks today since we have another round.
10:03 Elizabeth keeps trying to hit Genevieve with a ribbon.
Genevieve is totally ignoring her.
10:06 Elizabeth finally catches the ribbon around her leg
and Genevieve just steps out of it without missing a beat.
10:08 Cliff finally notices what Elizabeth is doing and
makes her stop.
10:11 Elder Rasband says the Spirit leaves us when we’re
depressed. I need to go back and re-read that part because I missed part of his
sentence. The Spirit does not leave me
when I’m depressed, but maybe he means simple depression and not Depression.
10:16 When I look at someone’s face to long, I start to
notice weird things about it like the way Elder Rasband’s left upper lip and
the left side of his nose don’t move when he’s talking.
10:17 Catherine brings me the thing she’s been working on: a
pom-pom snake.
10:18 I just had a thought that maybe the next big
announcement will be shortened conference.
Cliff says that they’ll probably change it to quarterly.
10:20 Elizabeth is tying all the ribbons together to make a
long ribbon. Genevieve whines until Elizabeth lets her have one. She gives up 2 more to Catherine.
10:24 The last 3 kids leave and Cliff goes to the
bathroom. I’m alone and it’s so quiet.
10:25 Elder Bednar’s weird graphics look like merit badges.
10:27 Elizabeth and Genevieve come in, circle the room and
leave again. Genevieve is chasing Elizabeth’s ribbon like a cat.
10:30 Genevieve sees the organists and says, “He has lots of
arms.”
10:31 Cliff gets mad at Elizabeth for walking around with
the ribbon trailing behind her. “Why is that bothering you?” I ask. “I don’t
know but it’s making me anxious!”
10:41 Elder Oaks says the full name of the choir again and
it’s starting to feel like they’re emphasizing it.
10:46 Cliff moves from the couch to the floor. I expect him to promptly fall asleep,
but Genevieve starts feeding him M&Ms.
10:47 Elder Oaks says something about the identities of men
and women being essential to God’s plan and I am interested in looking into
that further.
10:49 Ellowyn shows up and wants snacks. Cliff says no more
until lunch (even though he was eating M&Ms three minutes ago.)
10:50 Cliff is back on the couch with Genevieve on his lap.
Usually she is on my lap so this is a nice change.
10:51 Genevieve moves to my lap.
10:52 Cliff eats a chocolate bar. I point out his hypocrisy and he says that
it’s okay because he will eat all his lunch unlike some people who have too
many snacks before a meal.
10:53 The choir singing “Come, Come Ye Saints” immediately
makes me cry. It’s the awesomeness of
the bass line that I love. Unfortunately this is the time when everyone gets
noisy because conference is over and I don’t get to hear much more than the
opening lines.
No comments:
Post a Comment