Friday, January 4, 2013

2012 Recap

Most of this year was spent changing our lives around to fit a new baby into the family. Since January when I found out that I was pregnant, we have rearranged, modified and altered our lifestyles. Here’s our recap of the year.

• We find out that we were going to be having baby number 4. Simultaneously excited and dreading the future.
• Cliff gets a serious eye infection and takes a few weeks off work. This is probably when he started thinking about one of us staying home with the kids full time.
• Elizabeth turns 7 and Lexa is 1. Planning two birthdays at the same time isn’t as bad as I thought it would be.
• We go to Disneyland for what may be the last time for a while. Elizabeth and Catherine get princess makeovers.
• We find out that we are going to be having another girl. I tell Cliff that he gets to pick the name and he immediately chooses Ellowyn.
• Cliff has hernia surgery and we go to the cabin for a week with all the family. He gets to recuperate and I get extra help with the girls. Cliff takes another month off of work to recover.
• Catherine turns 4. Now everything that is four is special to her.
• We put up shelves all over the place. Lexa gets moved in to the girls’ room. Cliff puts insulation and flooring into the garage so all the toys are moved in there. I wash all the baby clothes and everything is ready for Ellowyn.
• Catherine is potty trained. There was no way I was going to have three children in diapers!
• Catherine goes to preschool, Elizabeth goes to second grade. Grandma takes Catherine and Elizabeth takes herself. Grandma becomes Lexa’s favorite person by spending time with her while Catherine is at preschool.
• I turn 37.
• Lexa starts going to nursery class at church. She hates it.
• Cliff’s parents move into a motorhome. It has been their dream for a while. It also spurs us into changing our stay-at-home-dad date from “sometime next year” to January.
• Ellowyn is born several days “late”. I think she knew what she was getting into and just wanted a little extra time to herself.
• Everyone gets pinkeye but Lexa. How is it that the 2-year-old doesn’t get pinkeye?
• I go back to work. They had missed me and actually showed how much by giving me a raise while I was out on leave.
• Cliff turns 40. He gives notice to his bosses that his last day will be January 4. He will be staying home full time and working on finishing his bachelor’s degree.

It seems like these last few months have been the most full of turmoil. Just when we get a routine down, things change. Things should settle down in 2013. But then again, do things ever really settle down with four children?

1 comment:

Dad said...

The title of the yearly letter from us is 2012, a year of change. Welcome!!