Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Semi-Annual General Conference Post

For some reason I expected our conference watching to be more interesting.  Unlike years past, this year was pretty tame, but I still kept a log of (almost) everything that went on during one session of conference, mostly to keep myself awake.  So even if it doesn't amuse you, the following account will at least help you procrastinate for the next few minutes.

12:50, Sunday afternoon - Cliff turns on the computer to get the conference broadcast.  He likes it better than the TV because the movement of the people's lips actually match the sound.
12:58 - The official start of the broadcast.  I also give in to Elizabeth's constant asking to play with the moon dough.  It's like play doh but messier.  Catherine wants to play with her (of course).
12:59 - I feel the urge to get up for a snack, but I don't because 1) I'm laying on the couch with Alexa on my chest to keep her from being fussy and 2) I'm lazy.
1:01 - The first time I tell the girls to be quiet.  There are many, many more that I'm not going to mention.  Just assume that it happens about every five minutes.
1:04 - Catherine is the only one in the family to close her eyes and keep her arms folded during the prayer.  Cliff played with the iPad, Elizabeth played with the moon dough, and I was patting the baby and watching everyone else.
1:15 - Cliff asks me if I would like some lunch.  Yes!  Apparently my mental telepathy is working because I was trying to send him that message.  Then I wonder if it has anything to do with Elder Scott's talk of marriage.
1:19 - Catherine cleans to moon dough off the chair but brushing it off onto the floor.  She then tells me "I clean the chair!"
1:24 - I have to bite my tongue watching the moon dough mess being made all over the table, chairs, and floor.  I really don't want to clean that up.
1:27 - One of the GAs says that God is not a butler.  Imagining God as a butler makes me giggle.
1:34 - Mmmm.  Smells like grilled cheese.
1:35 - Grilled cheese delivered.  Slightly difficult to eat it without getting it all over the sleeping baby on my chest.
1:39 - Elizabeth won't eat her sandwich because she wants to keep playing.  She plays the my-tummy-doesn't-feel-good card.  She complains so much that I send her to her room.
1:42 - The GA's story about Mr. Hoard reminds that we've been watching She-ra too much.  The bad guys on that show are called The Hoard.
1:50 - Cliff says that Elder Pratt's talk about tithing is his favorite so far.  "It wasn't about welfare and didn't mention widows."
1:52 - I send Cliff to let Elizabeth out of her room.  Then I decide that Alexa is asleep enough that I can lay her down now.
1:55 - I go to get an ice cream sandwich but find leftover Cold Stone in the freezer.  Score!
1:56 - Alexa is awake and making fussing noises.
1:58 - Catherine asks for ice cream.  I ignore her.
2:00 - It's super noisy right now as Alexa cries and Cliff cleans up the moon dough.  (Yes!  Score another one for mental telepathy.)  Elizabeth and Catherine are getting out the game of Sorry! to play.
2:04 - I've given up trying to listen to the talk about parenting because of the noisy kids.  I get a bottle for Alexa.
2:07 - Catherine sticks her tongue out at Elizabeth and it sticks out an inch past her lips.  That may not sound like much, but mine only goes out about half that far.
2:10 - Catherine has 4 Sorry! pieces in her boot while it is on her foot.  Cliff says he had to take puzzle pieces out of there earlier.  Apparently that is her storage place.
2:12 - Catherine slips on a magnet and falls.  Now I've got two kids on my lap.  One eating and one crying.
2:16 - I make Catherine get down so I can burp Alexa.  I tell her she can go snuggle with Dad.  She prefers the floor.
2:18 - Cliff changes Catherine's diaper and she snuggles with 3 Pluto dolls on the couch.
2:25 - Elizabeth takes a bite of her sandwich saying "My tummy feels better."  I'm thinking that she will eat it now, but she leaves it.
2:28 - I notice the girls are playing with the potato heads when Elizabeth says something about "putting things in my butt."
2:31 - Whenever someone says "duty", my brain thinks "doody".  This happened during the Saturday sessions too.
2:32 - Is Elder Holland really giving a talk about conference talks?  Hopefully no one will reference this talk or the universe might collapse on itself.
2:37 - "Bedlamites" describes my children well.
2:49 - Catherine accidentally hits Elizabeth with a toy.  She grabs Elizabeth's head and gives her a big kiss.  Then she repeats "sorry, sorry, sorry..." until all three of us say "Enough!"
2:55 - The closing prayer.  This time everyone keeps their arms folded.

5 comments:

Dad said...

I really liked the universe collapsing on itself bit. However, I did think that he let out some interesting things that I didn't know.

Laura Z said...

OK THANK YOU for giving me a great giggle as I go back to writing for my comps. I love your GC reports!

Suzanne Affleck said...

I look forward to conference time just so I can read your blog. Oh and listening to the prophet part too of course. :)

TJ Eich said...

I love Conference at your house! =)

Judy Anne said...

How very interesting...You have a fun and exciting home!