Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Nighttime Adventures Of Catherine

Last night we all went to bed early.  The girls got in bed around 8:30.  I checked on Catherine before Cliff and I went to bed around 9 to make sure she wasn't playing around.  At 9:30 I woke up coughing and got a drink of water.  Then I turned off the laundry room fan and went to check on Catherine again.  Not just to make sure she was in bed, but because she had a high fever last night and I wanted to make sure it wasn't coming back tonight. 

I went to her bed and started sorting through the blankets and stuffed animals - No Catherine.
Checked the crack between the bed and the wall - No Catherine.
Checked under the bed - No Catherine.
Checked the closet - No Catherine.
Checked Elizabeth's bed - No Catherine.

SHE IS NOT IN THE ROOM.  I AM FREAKING OUT.

Checked the bathroom - No Catherine.

SHE IS NOT UPSTAIRS.  I AM REALLY FREAKED OUT.

Then I went downstairs.  The lights were on.  Catherine was sitting on one end of the couch with her pillow and a blanket.  Her pajamas were at the other end of the couch.

As I lay in bed trying to fight off all the adrenaline and get back to sleep, I thought of several things.
  1. What in the world was she going to do?  Sleep on the couch?  And thank goodness she can't unlock the front door yet.
  2. Elizabeth rarely got out of bed in the night.  And when she did, she would make a little bed for herself in the hall and sleep there.
  3. I imagine a 10-year-old Catherine driving the car to 7-11 for a slurpee and I only find out because Elizabeth tells on her.

Part of me is proud that she's so independent, but mostly I don't want an unsupervised two-year-old roaming the house at night.  Right now I'm thinking of ways to get her to stay in bed other than threats and spankings.  Duct tape?  A tent?  Sewing her pajamas to the sheets?  Hmmm...

UPDATE:
Last night she went right to sleep because she had no nap!  Aha!

4 comments:

Marianne said...

That's scary! I hope she doesn't figure out how to open the front door anytime soon. Maybe you could hang christmas jungle bells on her bedroom door, then when it opens, you can hear it from your room? Oh dear!!

Judy Anne said...

Now you can understand why I have the chain-lock on all three doors. She is so funny and cute.

Dad said...

Actually a chain lock or high dead bolt is not a bad idea. But maybe you broke the code by eliminating a nap.

Suzanne Affleck said...

If Sarah has a nap she will be awake until about 11 or 12. I lost a nap time but at least she'll go to bed at a decent hour.

There were a few times I had to sit outside the girls bedroom door until they fell asleep. Never said anything, just stayed there so they wouldn't climb out. Good luck.