A couple of weeks ago, Elizabeth tried out for the one of the dance teams at her dance studio. I got an email from the studio about the try-outs which said that her teacher had suggested her as a candidate. I figured they sent that to most of the parents so that they would come and pay the $10 to let their kids try out. But she really loves to dance and she'd have more opportunities to perform, so we tried it.
As soon as we arrived, we noticed that the dance shoes were still at home. Cliff hurried back for them while Elizabeth and I signed in. They started with stretching so Cliff had time to bring the shoes. There were about 15 girls (ages 4-6) and none were in Elizabeth's current class. I was glad to see that one of the judges was Elizabeth's dance teacher so there was a familiar face there, not to mention she knew Elizabeth's abilities.
They all learned a short ballet number then performed it in groups of three for the judges, then did the same with a tap dance number. I think the moms were more nervous than the kids because everyone was watching intently through the one-way mirror. The whole process lasted an hour and a half.
Afterwards, Elizabeth looked sad. I asked her what was wrong and she sighed and said, "I guess I'll have to try out again next year." I asked her what she meant. She thought that she hadn't made it because they didn't tell her that she was on the team. I had to explain that they hadn't decided yet and that they would let us know later. (I was proud to see that she would have taken the bad news pretty well!)
So last night we got an email and Elizabeth has made it onto the dance team! Then she promptly told me that she didn't want to do it because she doesn't like to tap dance. Too bad now, honey! You're in it. (Although I did have second thoughts when I saw the price tag.) Starting in the fall, she'll be taking 2.5 hours of dance classes a week. Now I know why Kim spends all her time at the dance studio!
Any one who would like to see her perform to "Ease On Down" from The Wiz can let me know. It will be June 19 at 10am. I'm picking up tickets this Friday.
4 comments:
Way to go Elizabeth! I hope her dance experience is better than ours. Sophie used to be so excited for dance class and now it is something I have to force her to get through so all my $ is not completely waisted. I think a lot of it has to do with the teacher, she's been pretty short on patience lately even though the kids are only 4 years old.
Good job Elizabeth! I hope you have lots of fun!
now that the MJ and Hazel reunion is cancelled, Jake and I would love to go. How much are the tickets????
Good Job Elizabeth! Way to go making the the dance team. Way to go Jen for being willing to sit through tryouts and the longer practices!
Post a Comment