So what's the deal with Catherine? She had a check up yesterday and now the doctor shares my growing concern that she doesn't talk yet. She babbles, she gestures, she blows raspberries, but she has yet to say a word. And neither does she repeat sounds that we make.
(Cliff and Elizabeth insist that they've heard her say "mama" and "dada", but it's more like "mamamama" and is not really used in reference to any person or thing. At least, not that I can tell.)
I don't think it's her hearing because she dances when she hears music. She responds to my instructions. I have even heard her and Elizabeth whispering to each other in the back seat (followed by tremendous amounts of giggles.) So that's out.
I don't think it's anything wrong with her mouth. She eats everything. She has a nice long tongue (sometimes I've wondered if she's actually named after Gene Simmons) that doesn't seem to be connected incorrectly.
So am I worried about nothing? Maybe she knows that Elizabeth talks enough for 3 people already so she doesn't bother. I've decided to give her until her 18 month check up to start saying words. So let's go, girl! Speak up!
5 comments:
You WANT her to talk? Once they start, they don't stop. Seems like Elizabeth talks enough for both of them. I bet if Elizabeth was away for a few days then she'd have to start talking?
I agree. I think she'll start talking soon enough. And as soon as she starts, she'll talk up a storm.
Usually when I took Sophie in for well-checks there were some things she wasn't doing (rolling over taking steps, knowing words), but then Sophie would start doing those things the next week. Just give her some time.
I wouldn't worry too much yet. Allie and Cayson didn't really start talking until they were around 2 years old, which Cayson just turned in September. The doctor had Allie's ears checked b/c she thought maybe she had hearing loss. She didn't. Cayson and Allie just didn't want to talk until they were good and ready.
AJ didn't start talking right before his 2nd birthday. Now he is stringing words together. Lilly I think talked enought for both of them. Hang in there...it will happen!
I bet she knows that you will make an effort to talk with her more if she doesn't speak first...so she is just holding out for the attention!!
Post a Comment