Which means it's my blog's 1 year birthday! Anyway, the Sunday afternoon session... (and Catherine is absent because she napped all the way through it.)
12:59 - Elizabeth and I finish making cupcakes (from scratch!) and Cliff turns off HALO just in time for Conference. The choir is singing and I wonder if we missed the opening prayer.
1:03 - A guy starts saying the opening prayer. Cliff only has to remind Elizabeth to keep her arms folded once, but afterwards has to have a talk with her about not spinning around on a stool during prayer.
1:07 - The choir sings one of my favorite songs, "O Divine Redeemer". My very favorite, " I Know That My Redeemer Lives" was sung yesterday. Is it just a coincidence that the both have Redeemer in the title?
1:09 - I notice again that the sound is a bit out of sync with the picture. It bothers me so much that I can't look at the screen.
1:10 - Elizabeth is petting the cat and getting hair everywhere. I get up to get her the brush when I notice a weird burning smell. Is it Cliff's computer? The oven? Something outside? The crock pot? Cliff goes upstairs to smell things. And I'm sad because I missed the rest of the song.
1:12 - Elizabeth: "When is someone going to come here and eat our cupcakes?"
1:16 - I remember that I started the dishwasher to clean up the cooking mess and that the burning smell is probably coming from there. A ha! Bye-bye sippy cup lid. Mystery solved.
1:18 - Cliff opens the window to get rid of the burned plastic smell.
1:20 - Elder Holland holds up "that book" and I wonder if it really is the original and if he had to call in a favor to get it out of the museum and if anyone else could borrow it for an object lesson or just the apostles.
1:23 - Elder Holland reminds me of a televangelist. Here's a few of the words he used in his talk: pathetic, testators, wicked, foolish, angelically, fiery, destruction.
1:28 - Elder Holland's testimony gives me goosebumps. Cliff predicts his death on Monday.
1:33 - Elizabeth pesters me for the third time about writing on my paper. She wants to write on it too. I help her find her own writing book where she can practice her letters.
1:36 - Elder Cook mentions Las Vegas' slogan without actually naming the city. Is it copy-righted? Did he just not want to give Vegas a shout-out?
1:48 - Elizabeth wants to finish making a necklace for Luke, but get tired of stringing the beads and puts it away again.
1:50 - Is that Catherine awake? No, it's kids outside. I forgot the window was open. (This will happen 5 more times.)
1:54 - All of the sister missionaries in the clip look identical. And none of them look like real sister missionaries. Where is the fat one? The gap toothed one? The homely one?
1:56 - For some reason the rest hymn reminds me that all I have eaten so far today was 3 cupcakes. I get up to get some quick lunch and eat another cupcake on the way. One verse is not long enough to reheat leftover Chinese.
2:07 - Cliff catches my eye and winks at me. It makes me feel special.
2:12 - Who is calling us during Conference? Oh, it's Dad. We had called him earlier to invite him to dinner.
2:16 - I notice that some of Elizabeth's toenails are broken and tell her that they need to be cut. She runs away upstairs. I'll remember that this is an easy way to get rid of her. I mean...well, yeah. I mean get rid of her.
2:17 - Uh oh. A guy with an accent. I have to listen extra carefully. Maybe that's why I get a lot out of President Uchtdorf's talks.
2:19 - I win a staring contest with the cat.
2:22 - Elizabeth is back and I grab her feet to clip the toenails. She cries all the way through.
2:33 - I have to wash my hands because Elizabeth has the stinkiest feet in our family.
2:45 - I win a staring contest with Elizabeth by putting my finger in her nose. I then resist the temptation to put blueberries in her nose. It's hard to be mature. I also resist the urge to write on her leg.
2:53 - I threaten to take Elizabeth's book away if she keeps turning pages during the prayer. I realize that threatening children during the prayer is probably inappropriate too.
2:55 - Conference is over and Cliff waits a whole 10 minutes before turning on the football game. I'm impressed.
5 comments:
I laughed so hard at the "Cliff predicts his death on Monday"! And of course, we all find reasons to send our kids away for a while. I'm glad I'm not the only one who did that during Conference! :)
One more thing...was I the only who who was amazed that Elder Holland wasn't wearing gloves as he was absentmindedly flinging around that extremely old and valuable BoM?
I'm sorry that I missed his talk, he is one of my favorite speakers. I love the way his cheeks move, and even better, the stuff that he says. I'll try to find it on line.
Congrats on the anniversary of your blog. Keep it up, because I love reading it.
At any moment I expected E. Holland to reach though the screen and slap me with that book. Wow! Between this talk and the one last April he is on Fire! Ferrin thinks he is simply calling people to repentence, I think someone ticked him off.
Elder Holland is awesome! I was driving home from Utah and my heart was on fire. How wonderful was his testimony.
Your discription of a two hour conference with children was right on!
Post a Comment