Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Being Famous

When you're a kid, you hear about great people and all the great things they did. You imagine that you will someday be Someone; just like the people written about in the history books (or maybe the tabloids.) Today I realized that I will never be one of those famous people. My name will not be known among the masses.

I also realized that famous people make up a very small percentage of the people who have lived on the earth. So I take comfort from the fact that I am in the majority.

Another thing that comforts me is that I am the Most Important Person In The World (MIPITW) to at least two people (three, if you don't count HALO identities.) I'm probably also in the top fifty MIPITW lists of a few dozen others. That's pretty good for me. Having social anxiety, I don't want to be noticed by too many people anyway.

And at least I'm not this guy...

Japanese Man Certified as Double A-Bomb Victim

TOKYO — A 93-year-old Japanese man has become the first person certified as a survivor of both U.S. atomic bombings at the end of World War II, officials said Tuesday.

Tsutomu Yamaguchi had already been a certified "hibakusha," or radiation survivor, of the Aug. 9, 1945, atomic bombing in Nagasaki, but has now been confirmed as surviving the attack on Hiroshima three days earlier as well, city officials said.

Yamaguchi was in Hiroshima on a business trip on Aug. 6, 1945, when a U.S. B-29 dropped an atomic bomb on the city. He suffered serious burns to his upper body and spent the night in the city. He then returned to his hometown of Nagasaki just in time for the second attack, city officials said.

"As far as we know, he is the first one to be officially recognized as a survivor of atomic bombings in both Hiroshima and Nagasaki," Nagasaki city official Toshiro Miyamoto said. "It's such an unfortunate case, but it is possible that there are more people like him."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,510262,00.html

4 comments:

Suzanne Affleck said...

I'm okay with not being famous. It doesn't look like much fun. Most historical figures are known for just one thing that they did in one moment of their life. The rest of the time they were just ordinary people eating 3 square a day. I'm shooting for being the long term example, like the ones I have.

Laura Z said...

Reminds me of the quote (which I'll likely butcher): To the world you may be just one person, but to one person you may be the world.
And, as you pointed out, who wants to survive the A-Bomb twice for fame!

Marianne said...

Remind me to never go anywhere in the general area as that guy! Talk about having bad luck! Or maybe I should look at it the other way, he survived not one but TWO bombs, I think he must be here for a reason. And about being famous/important, just remember the children's book called "Everybody poops". :)

Anonymous said...

You are a VIP in my life. Thanks for sharing